Thursday, March 19, 2009

Stone Walls, Pickled Herring, and Beer

Its been a while since Barcelona.  Lots has happened and I find myself dangerously close to the end of my semester.  A sudden panic has hit me in the stomach.  There are papers to finish and exams to be taken.  Yet, before I commit to fully panicking over my school situation I did some cool stuff that I will now tell you about.

First, we got a chance to check out this place called the Arran Islands.  It is this series of islands off of the west coast of Ireland, not far from Galway.  Since I've been here a bit, I have realized that Ireland is more modern than the stereotype it is given back in the states.  Young people dress in the European fashion, they eat fast food, and the economy is based on more than just potatoes.  This doesn't seem to be the case for the Arran Islands.  After a woozy bus ride and still woozier ferry ride (which was not something my brain loved, with the Guinness still lingering in my head) we arrived to an Island that gave me the feeling of the Ireland of old.  The Irish culture does flourish around Galway, but never before have I heard as many people speaking Irish as I did on the Island.  It felt like a time warp.  Our itinerary for the day would consist of a bike tour across the island with stops along the way.  It was as dismal day.  The fog and piss rain were another reminder of Irish life I guess, but we got through it.  Saw some cool stuff, including a lighthouse not used anymore, big cliffs, a church from the 8th century, a horse, a seal, Irish sweaters (called jumpers), and lots of stone walls (to keep the soil from being blown away).  It was good stuff.

Next, Me and my two friends, Colin and Mike, took a trip to Sweden last week.  We stayed in Stockholm for 2 days then took a short train ride to a town in the north called Upsala.  I sort of came into this trip with few expectations.  Really knowing very little about Sweden it was new at all parts.  I was completely blown away.  I ate up every little nuance and small difference in culture between Sweden and everywhere else I've visited.  Delicious pastries, serve yourself candy in every convenient store, constant coffee, snow!, a national park with a beautiful expanse of walking paths only a walk out of the city, and beautiful burnt orange or yellow colored buildings with ancient copper roofing.  They also have these stores called Loppis.  They are a sort of cross between an antique store and a thrift shop.  Cool old stuff, but reasonably priced.  
We got duped into visiting the Ice Bar.  I had images of the TV show where they make a hotel out of ice (they actually do in way north Sweden), but it turned out to be one room, over priced drinks, and lots of tourist there to take pictures.
Upsala was a a success though.  Sweet college town situated along a river with bikes everywhere.  We somehow got into this bar, that is apparently only for Swedish people and drank some great Swedish Beer and conversed with some Swedish students.  One of them even invited us to this art show that was happening the next day.  Our true goal of Upsala was to see Jose Gonzalez play a show on our last night.  It was great.  We were last row and he spoke only swedish but it was a great show nonetheless.  Next day woke up early and traveled almost all day back to Galway.  Made our plane thankfully.

Finally, I experienced St. Patricks Day in Ireland.  Its different.  Its not like the States.  It's more a religious holiday for the older crowd.  Though there was a cool parade with everything from New Jersey Cops, to marching bands, to kids dressed up as schools of fish.  It was a good day though.  

This post was long.  Thanks for reading.

Now onward to schoolwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment